Monday, July 15, 2013

Project Mosaic | Rollins College | One, One Thousand

Project Mosaic | Rollins College | One, One Thousand




My colleague Dawn Roe has been a powerful and important contributor to a digital project I conceived called Project Mosaic.  Project Mosaic grew from a number of project involving online tools that I began experiment with in 2007.  Looking for a way to get students engaged with history and mindful of the complex stories in the surrounding community, my initial efforts were focus on traditional narrative linked to community history.  Those lessons were crucial to my thought process when I took over the Africa and African-American Studies program in 2008. I recognized the African-American experience offered an important point of intersection in Central Florida. By exploring African-Americans, I could continue to engage with the community, but I could also have the minor program engage with the college.  Project Mosaic emerged digital reclamation project of a sort. The African-American oriented theme acts as a lens to bring together course across the campus. By highlighting the African-American heritage all around us, the participating course have done much to raise awareness of the black experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment