Sunday, September 7, 2008

Winter Park, History Rich

Going into this Winter Park research paper I had absolutely no clue as to what I would care to learn about. I didn't think it would be possible for an entire history class to find enough information on several topics to complete a paper with Winter Park being such a small town. But boy was I naive. After making only a couple visits to the library archives at Rollins, and a couple visits to the Winter Park Historical Museum, I realized how much history Winter Park actually has. There is a wide variety of history and stories to be told about Winter Park, from the early days of its founding to the new millenium and present day.
So now I just had to figure out what story I wanted to research and write about, and after just a little bit of conversing and reading I found my topic. As it turns out, there happens to be an interesting story behind Winter Park becoming a city. I look forward to uncovering information using primary sources behind the story of the de-annexation and re-annexation of Hannibal Square, the African American section of Winter Park, and how it may or may not have had an effect in Winter Park today.

No comments:

Post a Comment