Sunday, October 5, 2008

The Light At The End Of The Tunnel Is Getting Nearer

So I have finally made it to the end of the 1980s in the archive as it relates to all things Disney, which means I'm only 18 years worth of files from being done with that section of the archives.  I also finished my book, "Married to the Mouse" and the way Professor Foglesong concludes it has left me wondering what his thoughts are on Disney since his book was published in 2002 so I will hopefully be having a meeting with him this week.  It has been so interesting to learn how manipulative (and somewhat brilliant) Disney has been in playing Orange and Osceola counties against each other for money, how they can decide when to be the government and when to be the company, how they can almost do anything they want on their land, and how thanks to Walt Disney, the area of Orlando is now filled with more theme parks than any other place in the world (I was driving with my parents this weekend and we honestly saw a place called "THE HOLY LAND" and it's a theme park!).  I plan on finishing my work in the archives this week and beginning to decide what I really need to keep.  I also plan on calling Disney's Florida office (if I can find their number) to see if they can give me any information.  More to come next week...

No comments:

Post a Comment