Wednesday, April 29, 2009

End of the Semester thoughts and Reflection

When I was planning my three year plan my freshmen year, I decided that I wanted to save a couple of 100 level classes for my last semester as an undergrad. That is why I decided to take this class so late in my college career. What I was surprised about was how much time I would have to invest in this class in order to get a good grade. Even though it is a 100 level class does not mean that it was a walk in the park … it for sure was not.
I completely enjoyed this class and learned a lot from it. Reflecting back I am very happy it was not a walk in the park type of class because I would not have learned as much as I did. I really enjoyed the lectures (that is why I only missed one class all semester) and I also enjoyed the scanning project. I love community service and I would never have thought of doing a project like that for the community. I also think you (Chambliss) can improve this class. Group papers are very difficult and I think I would have learned more by doing the paper on my own. I think you should assign everyone two movies to watch and specific dates to turn in and then have those students talk about the movie in class for a few minutes.
The most frustrating thing about this class though was the quizzes. By the end of the semester, I had no motivation to even try on the quizzes because I knew I was going to fail. I understand why you had such difficult quizzes but I think you should alter the quiz structure somehow. Maybe if no one is participating in class you have a quiz … a very difficult quiz. That way you will accomplish people reading and participating without extra grading for you. Overall, it was a great class and I am very happy I decided to take it!

No comments:

Post a Comment